Sunday, May 8, 2016

I always had a blog.

Well, before my YouTube channel, that is. (Anyone remember Xanga? And Livejournal!? Even Tumblr seems old school now!!)

Once I started documenting my thoughts in video form, I fell out of the habit of writing. I've always loved writing. I thought I wanted to do it professionally--maybe I still do. I used to journal every night for several years; I would constantly write poetry and short stories in high school; and I looked to writing as my escape for as long as I can remember.

But I let it slip out of my routine over the past few years, and I miss it. I'm much more eloquent with the written word. I'm not quite as well-spoken as I am well-written (is that a thing?), but I have definitely improved my brain-to-mouth function over my time on YouTube.

I'm proud of how my YouTube channel is evolving as I do; I'm incorporating more of me, my daily life & thoughts, with you all and it's very freeing. I'm a person who feels very stuck after a period of time of doing the same thing or having the same routine--which is confusing, because I respond very well to routine because I know I can count on it, and count on myself to follow through. But I have become increasingly hard on myself about my channel. A good portion of my weekends over the past year or two have been spent filming, editing, brainstorming, commenting, watching, and overall being immersed in all things YouTube. I have loved YouTube for years and I am so thankful to have such an amazing outlet to share my opinions with the world--and I am never ceased to be amazed by how many people all around the world have chosen to watch my videos, even if only by accident.

But I want YouTube to be fun. I don't want it to be stressful, or feel like a burden. I work 8 to 5 Monday through Friday, so weekends are my salvation--as I'm sure they are everyone's (sorry to those who work on weekends; I know how much it sucks). When I look forward to my weekend, I am always planning what videos I want to film. I love brainstorming my video ideas every week. I have a huge list, but that list is seldom looked at because I film whatever I feel like talking about that day, in addition to whatever timely videos should go up (such as Empties and Project Use It Ups at the end of each month). Lately though, I haven't been so into planning and talking about a specific topic. I feel pigeonholed in a way, especially when I start scouring my analytics, making mental notes of all the search terms people use to find my channel and telling myself to make more of those videos--even if they're not topics I feel passionate about. (#thingsNOTtodoasayoutuber)

I am getting re-inspired by LisaLisaD1, who has always been one of my absolute favorite ladies to watch. Her videos are so laid back and it feels like I'm hanging out with her--that's how I want to come across, but also feel when I film my videos. In many of my videos, I don't feel laid back and relaxed, ready to chat with my friends. I feel like an actor in a way, because where I film (on the edge of my bed in front of a bright light) isn't natural or comfortable to me. I am working on a new filming set up where I can be more comfortable as I make videos. The goal is to make videos that I really feel like myself in.

That brings me to vlogging! I'm loving it right now! I'm on a roll with them at the moment, and I hope to keep it up. It's a way I can easily show you my personality and what I do throughout the week in a very natural way. (Wanna watch my latest vlog? Click here.) Vlogging on my iPhone is incredible because I always have my phone with me, unlike a separate vlogging camera, and I highly recommend it to any fellow YouTubers out there who want to get into daily/weekly vlogging.

Having a blog will only supplement my channel, and hopefully give you all a better glimpse into my life, who I am, and what I like.

I love this username, by the way. Seriously all of my bobbypins are lost. Like, ALWAYS.

Anyhow, I wanted to do a little (or long, because you know me) introduction to this blog, because I always love a good backstory.

Thank you so much for being here and being my friends. It's seriously amazing to me that you are all here. I can't wait to share more, new content with you all on this blog--I have so many ideas and I am ready to dive in! I hope you are ready, too. ;)

Have an awesome day.

Talk to you soon!

xoxo,
Megan

10 comments:

  1. Megan....this is just so wonderful. BTW it is so a thing being more well written than well spoken..I struggle constantly. I can't wait to see what comes out of that beautiful mind of yours . Congratulations on taking the leap and Thank you for allowing us to further know you. ' I can do All Things thru Christ who Strengthens me..' Niecy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you're writing! Excited for the post to come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thank you! I hope you're enjoying <3 xoxo, Megan

      Delete
  3. Love this Meg!! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo Niecy - Thank you for allowing us to know you better! I am excited to see how the blog progresses. And the vlogs! Loving all the vlogs and looking forward to more blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julianne! I'm loving both blogging and weekly vlogging these days. Can't wait to share more :D xoxo, Megan

      Delete
  5. Love you, Megan! Congrats on this new adventure!

    ReplyDelete