Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Most Beautiful Place I've Ever Been

In 2008, my family and I took a trip to Arizona.

My parents had gone the year before and fell in love with it. The four of us went the following summer and it truly took my breath away. Yes, it is hot as hell in Arizona--the only solace is there is hardly any humidity. But still, 100 degree weather every day isn't my ideal living condition.

Despite the melt-your-face-off, why-even-bother-with-makeup weather, Arizona is like no place I've ever been, and probably like no other place I'll ever be.


The red rocks in Sedona are something so magical; so unreal; so sent-from-heaven that it's hard to believe you're still in the States. The deep, burnt red color in contrast to the bright blue sky is breathtaking. These pictures don't do justice to the pure enormousness of these rocks--they totally encompass you when you're there.

This is the Chapel of the Holy Cross, which is built within the rocks.

We also went to the Grand Canyon.

If you've never been to the Grand Canyon, add it to your bucket list. You could truly stand or sit in awe all day, gazing out into the canyon, and never get sick of the view. Like the red rocks of Sedona, the Grand Canyon is indescribable; truly one of God's great gifts.


This picture doesn't even look real to me.... and I was THERE.

My other favorite sight in Arizona is the night sky.

The sky seemed 10x bigger in Arizona than it does anywhere else. The ultra-clear night sky is perfect for star gazing, and we spent some time star gazing with an astronomy group (???) while we were there. Sounds totally lame, but it was AMAZING.

Every star shone so bright, and the vastness of the sky made me feel so small in the best possible way. It was a very grounding experience I will never forget.

Don't ask why I wore jeans in Arizona in the SUMMER; I'm wondering the same thing.

It's almost been ten years since I went, which doesn't even seem possible, but I have every intention on visiting again within the next few years. I cannot wait to see these sights again; there's truly nothing like it.

What is the most beautiful place you've ever been?
I can't wait to Google all the places you tell me about and bask in their beauty!

(All of the pictures in this post were taken by me in 2008.)

2 comments:

  1. Those sights are breathtaking! I want to see that sight some day. I think the most beautiful place that I have ever been was in Banner Elk, North Carolina. It was not the little town itself, but the mountains surrounding it, so green and thick. There was one particular mountain called Grandfather mountain that was so cool. The other most beautiful place I have been would be the Florida keys. Just driving down the highway that runs through the whole keys was breathtaking to see the water on both sides. The water is so clear and baby blue!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The views are even more beautiful in person :) I've never been to either of the places you mentioned; they're being added to my list of places to visit! <3 xoxo, Megan

      Delete